Monday, May 4, 2009

Contents of a Man's Dead Sketch Blog

As I mentioned in my first post here on Weird and Pissed Off, Jesse Munoz and I began a sketch blog on January 1st of this year which ran daily right up through sometime in April when things all began to fall apart. One day shy of 100 straight sketches I ran out of steam, and now there's one more sad, abandoned blog out there among the wasteland we call the internet. If you'd like, you can check out all but my final sketch from the blog in the gallery at my deviantArt page where I posted them in weekly updates. I thought about posting them all here, but that would be a lot of work, and honestly, many of them aren't that great. So instead I'm just going to post my ten favorite sketches from "Another Sketch Blog" here for your viewing pleasure. In no particular order, and with some commentary when I feel like it, here are what I consider my ten most notewrothy sketches from my now defunct sketch blog:

Click The Pics To Enlarge


I did this one over the course of two days. Panda first, then Mack. Body Bags is good clean fun. You should read it. Now.


As with the Body Bags piece, this one was drawn over the course of two days. Guy first, then Bats.


This one was (obviously) drawn from a photo. I'd just re-watched Pitch Black and watched The Chronicles of Riddick for the first time before I drew this.


Again, referenced from a photo. Rambo's head looks a bit big, and I gave him a hell of a beak, but I like this one nonetheless. One thing I like about it is how quickly it was drawn. This was one of my last sketches and I was about a week behind, so I think I drew like 6 sketches the night I did this one.


Shaft never looked cooler than when Steve Skroce drew him. The first of his two issues of Youngblood was the inspiration for this one.


My Abbey Chase doesn't look like a supermodel the way she does when J. Scott Campbell draws her, but cut off the super and I think mine could still pass for a model.


I'm a big fan of this drawing because of the odd path it took to get where it is. I was reading Wintermen at the time and as a result I was way into John Paul Leon for a few days. I decided to try to draw this sketch in a more Leon-esque, simplified style with some harsh shadows resulting from the explosion being created by Cannonball's powers. As I worked, the simpler my linework got, the cartoonier the image looked, and I liked the look I had inadvertently ended up with, so I embraced the style and ended up with the first drawing of Cannonball ever to resemble Tin-Tin.


The Sword is awesome. You should read it. Now.


One day I read Brian Stelfreeze's story in The Ride, and ever since then I've been drawing guns in the process of going off.


This one was drawn over the course of five days. Alone, I wouldn't have included any of these character sketches here, but as a whole it's worth showcasing.

As a bonus, here's my own creation, Man-Gull. God willing, one day he will be the star of a gloriously cheesy monster movie. Cross your fingers now.

No comments:

Post a Comment