Friday, May 1, 2009

Re-Animate Your Feet!

I saw Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator for the first time a few years ago (late to the party once again, I know) and became an immediate fan. Not only of the movie, but of Gordon himself and Jeffrey Combs. Not long afterward I tracked down both of the sequels. Neither were directed by Gordon, nor were they anywhere near as good as the original, but both had their redeeming factors (first and foremost, the return of Combs as Dr. Herbert West). The second film, Bride of Re-Animator, just felt like a re-hash of the first movie. The third film, Beyond Re-Animator, is rather peculiar.

I actually thought that Beyond Re-Animator was a more original and enjoyable film than it's immediate predecessor, but to cut production costs the film was shot in Spain with an almost entirely Spanish cast. Apparently the English dialogue spoken by most of the characters was so difficult to understand that the majority of their lines had to be over-dubbed, which is quite obvious and sometimes jarring when you watch the film. The entire look and feel of the Beyond Re-Animator is quite bizarre, but the oddest thing of all is the music video included on the DVD. To my recollection this song doesn't appear anywhere in the movie, and as you'll hear when you listen to it, it would be quite hard to miss in a moody, suspenseful horror film. I mean, it's a full-on house/techno song that would fit better in A Night At The Roxbury than Re-Animator. When I first saw it after having just watched Beyond Re-Animator I felt as though I was in some alternate dimension because of how out of place it is.

There really is no way to describe the video, so why not just give it watch:



I'm not sure what's more odd, though: the fact that this video is in any way related to Re-Animator or that I actually find the song kind of catchy...

No comments:

Post a Comment