Friday, May 8, 2009

Recent Acquisitions 001

I guess there's really no point to this post other than for me to be able to brag about all the neat things I've bought lately. You'll notice that there's a number in the title of this post. I'm not planning on starting any kind of weekly/regular/scheduled features on this blog because I'd just be setting myself up for failure when a week rolls by with no posts, which is bound to happen eventually, let's be honest. I do imagine that I may write another post similar to this one in the future though, so that's what the "001" is all about. Anyway, here's some shit I've bought over the past few weeks:

Click The Pics To Enlarge

Tank Girl Volumes 1 & 2


A week or three ago I was looking at a book we have at Beyond Comics called The Cream of Tank Girl, which is like a history of her publication with lots of pictures of the comic and it's creators, and it really got me interested in Jamie Hewlett. I know that most people are familiar with him from his work on The Gorillaz, but I immediately became interested in the primarily black and white Tank Girl stuff. I've got no real knowledge of the character, but his art was enough to make me pick up these two books for about $15 a piece. I've only just skimmed the surface of Volume 1, but so far so good.

Invincible Ultimate Edition Hardcover Volume 4


Invincible is one of the very few series that I will pick up both in single issues and a collected format. I'd been buying the trades for a while, but when these hardcover collections started coming out with all of the sketches and other backmatter included, I started collecting these instead and gave my trades to my good friend and fellow Invincible fan Brian.

Dirty Pair II






A few weeks ago I got into one of my major artist obsession modes, this time focused on Adam Warren. The only comics I really had that he'd drawn were the first four volumes of Empowered and some random Gen 13 stuff, so I turned to eBay and Wikipedia to see what else I could find. I am now the proud owner of almost every Dirty Pair comic Adam has ever drawn. I still haven't had the chance to read most of them, but here they are.

Dirty Pair III: A Plague of Angels






Dirty Pair: Sim Hell Remastered




As of the writing of this post, this is the only Dirty Pair series I've had a chance to read. I wanted to go through them in order, but this one arrived at my house first and I felt the need to jump in a start reading. I'll never say that Dirty Pair is one of the most intellectual reads out there, but it's awesome because Adam Warren fully embraces that fact. I've become a massive fan of Warren as a writer as well as an artist over the past few years (primarily through Empowered) because of how fun his stories are. I always seem to find this odd connection with the stuff Adam writes. It's as though he and I have the same sense of humor. Also of note: his artwork is amazing.

Dirty Pair: Fatal But Not Serious






Dirty Pair: Run From The Future




Bubblegum Crisis: Grand Mal TPB


While researching Adam Warren's past works I came across this Bubblegum Crisis mini-series he had drawn, so I snagged the trade off of eBay as well. It's similar to Dirty Pair in that it's about some hot ladies who fight crime, though they're a quartet rather than a pair.

Jet




Back in the day I recall seeing this mini-series on the rack, but didn't know exactly what it was. As it turns out, Jet is the daughter of Backlash, a character who I've never been a huge fan of, but he's a member of Team 7 so he immediately gets a pass from me. Cut to a few years later when I read The Authority for the first time and become an instant fan of Dustin Nguyen (who drew this series) and it became of great interest to me. For whatever reason it's just taken me this long to track it down and pick it up for pennies on eBay.

DVDs




A large portion of my DVD collection comes from Blockbuster Video and their frequent 3 for $20 used DVD sales. I acquired these three titles from one such sale. Zack & Miri is the only one I've rewatched thus far, and I enjoyed it pretty much just as much as when I saw it in the theater. Pride & Glory was one of the sleeper hits of 2008 in my book. I wanted to see it because I'm a big Edward Norton fan, but the trailers didn't do much for me and I was expecting to be bored by a stereotypical cop mystery. Surprisingly, Pride & Glory exceeded all of my expectations and earned a spot in my Top 10 movies of 2008 list. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment